Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re Detecting Magic Lantern?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 16:15:18 -0500

Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 14:06:47 -0700
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Subject: Re: IP: Detecting Magic Lantern?

At 01:31 PM 11/24/2001, David Farber wrote:

At 01:52 PM 11/23/2001, Henry E. Schaffer wrote:

>"At least one antivirus software company, McAfee Corp., contaced the FBI
>on Wednesday to ensure its software wouldn't inadvertently detect the
>bureau's snooping software and alert a criminal subject."
>
>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1436-2001Nov22.html

I have just removed all Network Associates products from my workstations
and network servers, and will no longer recommend them to my clients
or readers.

I have taken this position because Network Associates, by rigging its
products not to detect tampering by specific parties of its choosing, has
betrayed users' trust and started a descent down a perilous, slippery
slope. Will the company next change its PGP ("Pretty Good Privacy")
software so that it contains back doors as well? Will its "Sniffer"
products be configured to ignore certain types of attacks and allow
selected parties onto customers' networks undetected, possibly hiding
illegal searches by freewheeling law enforcement personnel? Will its
"Magic Solutions" products, which allow remote control and maintenance
of user workstations, become a vector for the installation of spying
software by government snoops?

Just as disturbing as the company's breach of trust with its customers
is the prospect that others will exploit the back doors installed for
the benefit of government agencies.

Network Associates has shown that it is willing to compromise its
integrity by selling intentionally faulty products. For this reason,
it is no longer appropriate or wise for those concerned about the
security of their networks, systems, or confidential data to use them.

--Brett Glass

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/