Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on -- Do read -- Tony Blair's speech

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 01:39:31 -0400

Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 13:18:51 -0400
Subject: Re: IP: Do read -- Tony Blair's speech
From: Jan Ziff <janziff () soundbytesradio com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
CC: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Declan:

Let me introduce myself:  I think my track record speaks for itself.

I began my career as a foreign correspondent in 1976. I’m a former BBC State Department correspondent, (I covered Reagan/Bush1/Clinton). I’ve covered the White House and the Hill extensively. I was the first foreign correspondent to have a regular place on the Secretary of State’s plane and I served as the NPR correspondent whenever the secretaries traveled . Before that I was the foreign editor of Mutual Radio/Westwood One and prior to that the BBC’s correspondent on Israeli-Palestinian affairs based in Jerusalem. I speak both Arabic and Hebrew. I’ve also done my stint at a wire (AP) and networks (ITN and Reuters TV), I even did time with VOA. I’ve covered the civil war in Beirut, and the Arab-Israeli conflict. I’ve traveled extensively in the Middle East, and appeared many times as foreign policy analyst on CSpan. In other words, I’m a seasoned and experienced correspondent.

I think you have misunderstood what I was saying. My comments referred to the live media covering the speech and not to the web. I said that the US media failed to carry many of the pertinent passages of Tony Blair’s speech and that’s exactly as it was -- witness CNN and MSNBC’s truncated live coverage of the speech.

Or to cite your own example of the CNN material on the web:
CNN is highlighting the complete text of Blair's speech as the third link
on their site:
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/10/02/ret.blair.address/

I’ve checked this link and the transcript is indeed incomplete. It’s actually a transcript of less than half of the full speech. In one sense it’s a full transcript — but only of CNN’s truncated coverage of the speech. And it still leaves out some of the most important elements of it.

Equally so your example of the Washington Post’s coverage:
The Washington Post incorporated Blair's speech into the top story on their
website
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57558-2001Oct2.html),
posted the video of Blair's speech, and ran the full text of his speech
    with a prominent link at the top of the washingtonpost.com homepage.

This is the link to their version of the transcript:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/specials/attacked/transcripts/blairtext_100201.html

Again, if you compare that text to the full text, you will see that this transcript covers less than half of Tony Blair’s delivered remarks.

There are probably many reasons for this:
-- it’s partly the way the US networks cover foreign news,
-- it’s probably partly due to the European habit of keeping your best material for the end of the speech. -- It could also be that whoever booked satellite time for the UK feed didn’t book enough

But that’s no excuse for not posting the complete text which was available at the Labour Party’s website and which was the link I provided to IP.

The US media did cover Blair’s speech and it does cover foreign affairs (I know, I provided some of that coverage for many years) -- what I was raising in my post to IP was the incomplete coverage, not the lack of coverage. And I think the facts, and the links, speak for themselves.

At the end of the day – I guess it all depends on the definition of “a perfectly good job” ... I just don’t think that cutting away from a live speech and then missing some of its key elements, is adequate. I also don’t think that representing a partial transcript as a complete text, is acceptable.

I believe in the critical role of a responsible media that provides enough facts and content for intelligent readers to make their own judgment, as I believe you do. And if indeed it’s true that the first casualty in war is the truth, then its vital that we do everything in our power to ensure that the full and complete record is maintained.

Lastly, it’s clear that we all agree on the critical role of the web as it is often the only tool that allows us to check and double check the facts direct from the source. It’s why I so enjoy reading both the material on IP and on your own list, to which I have been a subscriber for many, many months,

Jan Ziff

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/