Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: -RE: GOVNET? Not the brightest idea.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:50:24 -0400

From: "Peter Schamerhorn" <Peter.Schamerhorn () corel com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>-

Dear Mr. Farber,

Although Mr. Metzger does bring up some salient points, I believe I
would have to ask him to step down from his anti-MS soapbox for a minute
so that I can see the crowd.  I know MS might claim otherwise, but I
thought that the majority of web servers WERE still running *nix ( i.e.
non-MS kit), but I digress.  I believe Mr. Metzger makes some pretty
amazing assumptions about what can and will be done to address this
problem.  Addressing a quote from the original article:

"After one day on the job, the president's cyberspace security adviser
asked computer companies Wednesday to help design a new secure
telecommunications network for government use."

I do not believe that Richard Clarke said 'using currently available off
the shelf solutions' anywhere in his request.  I think that when you are
asked to 'design a new secure' network, you have a fair amount of leeway
in the types of proposals you can submit.  As we all know from reading
initial specs, and often poorly written ones, the technical requirement
can often be fullfilled in a vastly different manner than the functional
spec may or may not imply.  I would be willing to bet that (and I have
some ideas myself how this might be accomplished) the bright minds at
the various companies such as Cisco, Nortel, Lucent (Bell Labs?), AT&T
etc can find a way to fullfill the intent of the functional requirements
outlined by Mr Clarke, and probably manage to make some money at it as
well.

Well.. I think I've now spent my two cents worth.. so let the debate
rage on....

Peter Schamerhorn