Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Profiling, from the front lines

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:31:17 -0400

From: "Daniel J. Weitzner" <djweitzner () w3 org>
To: <Rohit () KnowNow com>
Cc: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: Profiling, from the front lines

Hello Rohit,

I just read you post to Farber's list. I feel terribly that this has
happened to you. Somewhere in it you said that it might make statistically
sense for you to be a selectee. While it might in some version of
sensibility, I can't help but wondering whether it might just be that
statistically profiling is the poor substitute for the high quality
intelligence and police work that we really need to protect us all. When I
read in the New York Times today that the envelop likely to have contained
the anthrax spores that infected NBC employees actually sat around at the
FBI office in New York for over two weeks unanalyzed, I wonder whether we're
accepting large-scale violation of civil liberties (airport searches,
reading email and web logs with a mere subpoena and no intervention from a
judge, etc.) because we've lost confidence in law enforcement's ability to
protect us by more careful, respectful means. I'm sure that I and others
should be careful about second-guessing law enforcement efforts at a time
like this, but I worry about the damage we do to the fabric of our very
diverse communities at a time when we most need to be strong together.

Best well and have courage,

Danny

--
Daniel J. Weitzner                              +1.617.253.8036 (MIT)
World Wide Web Consortium                       +1.202.364.4750 (DC)

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/