Interesting People mailing list archives

Fwd: Re: IP: The next wave of terror - Scenario planners trying to predict the unthinkable

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 17:51:47 -0500

I agree, responsible press will not give details as I will not give any ideas I helped develop during "game" playing. djf

my
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 16:41:05 -0600
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Benjamin Kuipers <kuipers () cs utexas edu>

Dave,

I am a die-hard supporter of the freedom of the press, and I am convinced
of the necessity of these scenario-planning sessions.  However, I would
hope that neither the press nor the internet discussion groups will
publish the detailed results of this work.

Several years ago, I read a newspaper article on a teenage girl who
poisoned her father, and would have gotten away with murder if she
hadn't confided in a friend.  The article included the identity of the
poison, the fact that it is available in high-school chemistry labs,
the lethal dose, and the food she served it in to disguise the taste.

News of a crime is a service to the public.  A detailed recipe for getting
away with it is a disservice.  No, I don't know how to draw a precise
line between the two, and it may well be impossible.  I don't want to give
up precious civil liberties to avoid mistakes in this area, but I also
want people to publish in a responsible manner.

With care and good judgment, I as a citizen can be informed of potential
dangers and steps I can take, without at the same time delivering the
fruits of valuable brain-power to the terrorists.

One of the strengths we have is in sheer numbers, and in the variety of points
of view that we bring to solving these problems.  The number of committed
terrorists is simply not that large, so there is a real chance of them not
coming up with some of the creative ideas that we can.  It's a weak sort
of protection, on the level of not leaving a loaded gun around the house
or the keys in a parked car, but it is well worth doing anyway.

We must envision and plan for worst-case scenarios, but don't publish
recipes for crime and terror.

Thanks,

Ben Kuipers

For archives see: