Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Technology has potential to spread freedom in Africa

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:31:27 -0400

Technology has potential to spread freedom in Africa

BY DAN GILLMOR

Mercury News Technology Columnist

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa -- I was in a van, riding with five other people toward an airport on the east coast of South Africa, when a mobile phone rang. One of our party got the news from his wife, who was in Johannesburg watching CNN via satellite, that a plane had hit one of the World Trade Center towers in New York.

We'd been in Grahamstown, home of Rhodes University. There, several of us had spoken at Highway Africa, an annual conference where people from all over the continent ponder the social, political and economic implications of the Internet. I'd talked with great fervor about the collaborative nature of the Net, and its promise for improving lives if we used it the right way. Just before we left Grahamstown, a local man had taken us to the site of a grim battle. On April 21, 1819, British soldiers, armed with the best technology of the time, slaughtered the natives who'd attacked in an effort to reclaim their land.

The late-winter breeze was chilly as we stood on ground -- now a rugby field -- where blood had turned the soil red those many years earlier. Our guide, whose ancestors had lived in the immediate vicinity long before white men arrived and subjugated the native peoples, told us what prior generations had told their children. He reminded us of humanity's constant quest for human dignity and self-determination.

<snip>

http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/opinion/dgillmor/dg091601.htm

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/