Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: For NYC and also to perhaps give some historical prospective to your list

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 13:35:35 -0400

From: Herb Schorr <schorr () ISI EDU>
To: "Dave Farber (E-mail)" <farber () cis upenn edu>

"The freedom which we enjoy in our democratic government extends also
to our ordinary life.
We throw open our city to the world, and never by alien acts exclude
foreigners from any opportunity of learning or observing although the
eyes of an enemy may occasionally profit by our liberality.
We live exactly as we please and yet are just as ready to encounter
every legitimate danger. If with habits not of labor but of ease, and
courage not of art but of nature, we are still  willing to encounter
danger, we have the double advantage of not suffering hardships
before we need to, and of facing them in the hour of need as
fearlessly as those who are never  free from them.
The price of courage will surely be awarded most justly to those who
best know the difference between hardship and pleasure and yet are
never tempted to shrink from danger.
And it is only democratic people who, fearless of consequences,
confer their benefits not from calculations of expediency but in the
confidence of liberality.
Judging happiness to be the fruit of freedom and freedom of valor
never decline the dangers of war."
 From "The Funeral Oration" by Pericles of Athens, 431 B.C.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/