Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re What you see on CNN is not what you thought -- BBC on CNN

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:24:20 -0400

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:39:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Lenny Foner <foner () media mit edu>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: IP: What you see on CNN is not what you thought -- BBC on CNN
CC: foner () media mit edu

    Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:12:36 -0400
    From: David Farber <dave () farber net>

The message below has been debunked---the message -itself- even
appears in the debunking.  See http://www.snopes2.com/inboxer/outrage/cnn.htm.

(What we need is some technology to do searches of various phrases,
preferably those likely to be conserved across editing, which then
tries searching for them on Snopes & so forth.  A handy tool to do
this might be a useful button to have on one's mailer---a button that
says, "Please check to see if I'm likely to be forwarding an urban
legend."  Obviously, the choice of whom to ask, and whether the button
gets pushed at all, had better be completely up to the user, lest we
discourage people from sending items not properly "blessed" by a few
sources chosen via dubious means... :)

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/