Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: This is a good week to hug an Arab, hug a Moslem, AND salute a soldier. We are in this together, or it won't work.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:39:10 -0400

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 08:48:20 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: Stewart Brand <sb () gbn org>
Subject: Re: IP: a game

From: "Maney, Kevin" <kmaney () usatoday com>
We met 15 minutes early so we could have a small service for Bill. About 30
people showed up. I am one of the minority "outsiders," and I have to say
that my first thrill was simply the fact that a week after the act, I was
able to drive to the Pentagon, park, and walk up to that field unhindered.
The crash was on the opposite side of the building. I saw it from the
highway. The collapsed part is huge and it is chilling. But it didn't turn
the place into a bunker.

Dave, thanks for posting this.

I've been concerned that all the media coverage has been of the World Trade Center and almost none of the Pentagon attack, particularly not of the human side there.

Imagine how that feels to people in the military---that once again they are marginalized, dehumanized, dismissed. Just when they are the one about to risk their lives in our behalf seeking justice for the crimes.

This is a good week to hug an Arab, hug a Moslem, AND salute a soldier. We are in this together, or it won't work.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/