Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Shameful behavior by those who should know better (from NYT)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 07:32:12 -0400

Thanks Matt. when I heard this on radio yesterday I was outraged. I looked for facts online at that time and did not see them. If this is what America will become we are in serious trouble. Dave

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 03:04:30 -0400
From: Matt Blaze <mab () research att com>

I don't know whether I'm more dismayed the small-minded
bigotry on the part of these airline pilots, or the apparent
fact that none of the other passengers objected in
any of these incidents.

======
Some Passengers Singled Out for Exclusion by Flight Crew

N Y Times: September 22, 2001

By BLAINE HARDEN and SOMINI SENGUPTA

In San Antonio on Monday, Ashraf Khan, 32, a mobile phone
salesman who was trying to get to his brother's wedding in
Pakistan, was ordered off a Delta Airlines flight. The
plane's captain, Mr. Khan recalled, told him that the
flight crew did not "feel safe flying with you."

A Delta spokeswoman said the airline was "aware of this
incident and takes this matter very seriously."

In Orlando, Fla., on Monday, two businessmen from Pakistan
were ordered off a US Airways flight bound for Baltimore.
As the businessmen, Akbar Ali and Muhammad Naeem Butt,
recalled their long day at the airport, an airline agent
told them that the pilot would not take off until they left
the aircraft. He then suggested they take a train. They
were accepted on a later US Airways flight to Baltimore.

A spokesman for US Airways declined comment, but noted that
the company's chairman, Stephen Wolf, sent out a special
bulletin to employees on Sept. 14.

"It is important to remind ourselves," the bulletin said,
that "we must show the greatest respect, indeed, support
for our Muslim, Arab- American and Middle Eastern co-
workers and customers."

In Minneapolis on Thursday, three Middle Eastern-looking
men were denied permission to board a Northwest Airlines
flight to their home in Salt Lake City. Ticket agents
expressed concern, according to a police report, because
the men went to the restroom often, looked at their watches
and appeared nervous. After they were bumped by Northwest
and given $10 food vouchers, Delta flew them to Salt Lake
City.

Full story:
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/22/national/22PASS.html?ex=1002151073&ei=1&en=5cceef71f852aca1

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/