Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: trial balloon for special military tribunals

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 16:01:24 -0400

From: bdolan () usit net
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: trial balloon for special military tribunals
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 14:50:49 -0400

Things are moving faster than I can keep up with.  However, as I understand
it, the legislation Congress just passed allows George W. Bush to decide who
is a terrorist.  He decides it, you are one.

Now he "is considering the establishment of special military tribuinals" so
persons defined as terroists "could be tried without the ordinary legal
constraints of American justice."

Brad

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101010924/bprivacy.html

Terrorizing Ourselves
>From now on, tighter security is the rule. But how much of our freedom will
we sacrifice?
BY RICHARD LACAYO

Two days after the attacks at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon,
Virginia Sloan realized that if the terrorists wanted to attack American
freedoms, they had got somewhere. "I was valet parking for dinner, and I had
my hood and trunk and the inside of my car searched," says Sloan, executive
director of the Constitution Project, a legal-issues organization in
Washington. "Can we as Americans tolerate that? I think not."

Maybe we can. Americans are generally unfriendly to security measures that
intrude too much on their privacy. But that was before last week, before
they saw the crematoriums in New York City and Washington and started to
wonder if the next dive-bombing airliner could be aimed at them. If ever
there was a time when they might be receptive to trimming their accustomed
freedoms, that time is now.

And whether they are receptive or not, the changes have already begun. Long
waits to cross the Canadian and Mexican borders were the rule last week, as
vehicles and travelers were finecombed by border police. Civil libertarians
are bracing for an upsurge of "racial profiling" at airports targeting Arab
Americans, or for an FBI investigation of the attacks that sucks in many
innocent members of that group, or simply for a wave of hate crimes against
them.

Emergencies have always been a time when the niceties of law have been most
vulnerable to the demands of national security or national hysteria. As
Senate minority leader Trent Lott said last week, "When you're in this type
of conflict, when you're at war, civil liberties are treated differently."
World War II produced the internment camps for Japanese Americans, a
development upheld in 1944 by the Supreme Court but later repudiated. After
the bombing at the federal building in Oklahoma City, the Immigration and
Naturalization Service was authorized to establish a new court to consider
the deportation of suspected alien terrorists, in which cases would be heard
without the usual obligation to inform the accused of the evidence against
them.

Now the Bush Administration is considering the establishment of special
military tribunals. Suspected terrorists could be tried without the ordinary
legal constraints of American justice. During World War II, German saboteurs
were tried secretly that way in Washington, and those convicted were hanged
30 days later.

Just one day after last week's attacks, the Senate also approved a provision
expanding the circumstances under which law-enforcement agencies can force
Internet service providers to hand over information about subscriber
e-mails. If the Federal Government were to monitor more e-mails, a key
question would be whether it would hold on to them for some time or dispose
of them almost at once, as it now does with the information obtained from
instant background checks mandated by federal law for gun purchases.
Americans may be willing to let their e-mails pass one time through a sort
of national filter that would screen for hints of terrorist activity. They
will be far more reluctant to allow the government to collect a national
e-mail database.

Civil libertarians expect renewed calls for a national identification card.
The cards could have photographs and hard-to-falsify identifying information
like handprint or retina data that could be read by scanners at, say,
airline counters. If cards were required for many common
transactions—renting a car, buying an airline ticket—they would be useful
for keeping track of criminals and terrorists. Or you. Eva Jefferson
Paterson, executive director of the Lawyers' Committee on Civil Rights Under
Law in San Francisco, predicts that innocent citizens would be challenged
constantly to produce their cards. "You could be stopped by the police to
prove you can walk down the street," she says. "Poor people and people of
color would be stopped the most."

There could also be stepped-up public surveillance. At last year's Super
Bowl in Tampa, Fla., law-enforcement officials secretly scanned spectators'
faces with surveillance cameras and instantly matched their faceprints
against photographs of suspected terrorists and known criminals in
computerized databases. Facial-recognition technology might help, says Bruce
Hoffman, vice president for external affairs at the Rand Corp. and a former
adviser to the National Commission on Terrorism, but mostly after the fact,
during an investigation. And that means storing all the face data collected,
something civil libertarians fear will allow the government to track any
individual. If systems were set up all over a city, you could be
"checkpointed" by camera when you board a train, stop at a cash machine and
enter a store or the place where you work. "We are vulnerable," says
Hoffman, "and there's a certain level of risk that we have to accept and
live with. To me, the cure can be far worse than the disease."

Says Morton Halperin, senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations: "If
you take both security and civil liberties seriously, you can find solutions
that respect individual rights and privacy and still give the intelligence
and law-enforcement agencies the scope that they need. We had worked that
out in terms of airports. Nobody thinks you have the civil liberty to take
knives on airplanes. I don't know who made the decision to let people bring
knives on anyway, but it was certainly not civil libertarians."

Reported by Andrew Goldstein/Washington, Chris Taylor/San Francisco and
Elizabeth L. Bland/New York

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/