Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: perhaps a better explanation why Bush's DOJ bent over for Microsoft

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 17:54:39 -0400

From: "Gerry Faulhaber" <gerry-faulhaber () home com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: perhaps a better explanation why Bush's DOJ bent over
for  Microsoft
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 17:46:30 -0400

Well, not quite.  The author states that the government is "vacating the
lawsuit."  This is actually false; it is no longer pursuing the breakup
remedy.  In the humble opinion of this economist, the breakkup was a
non-solution anyway, so I don't think we've lost much here, and probably
dodged a bullet.  The government has been clear that it intends to pursue
conduct remedies; this is always risky, but I see few other options for the
government in this case.

Also, "introduced the computer industry to Washington politics"?  Puh-leeze!
The computer industry has been greased into DC for years; how do you think
all us nerds got the government to fund Internet?  And recall it was Scott
McNealy and fellow-SV schmoozers who interested DoJ in bringing the MS case
to begin with.  The rube in this case was Microsoft, not the computer or
software industry; Gates was the guy with the two left political feet,
nobody else.  But they are smart guys; they'll figure out how to play the
game eventually.

Gerald Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Department
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadephia, PA 19104

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/