Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: LITTLE BROTHER MAY BE WATCHING YOU (WITH X10 VIDEOCAMS): from newsscan daily

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:56:41 -0400

     A company called X10 Wireless Technology is marketing its tiny color
     video cameras for their use in keeping an eye on your kids or even
     engaging in voyeuristic activity. One ad for the $79.99 device
     displays a bare-backed woman and the headline "Quit Spying on People!
     (we never told you to do that)." The technology uses radio frequencies
     for communication among devices within a 100-foot radius, and
     represents a development that one attorney says "is outstripping
     everything we once contemplated about privacy." X10 devices have been
     found planted secretly in such places as college shower rooms,
     attorneys' offices, and corporate meeting rooms. (San Jose Mercury
     News 10 Sep 2001)
     http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/svfront/027254.htm

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/