Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on ATTBI / Eudora / SSL

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 14:18:57 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Kai Lui <kai () kailui com>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 14:14:41 -0500
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: IP: more on  ATTBI / Eudora / SSL

I'm catching up on old email so please excuse the tardiness of my comments.

Verizon's SMTP blocking is NOT an anti-spam measure, as the company claims,
but a way to force their users to switch domain hosts (Interland is their
outsource partner). Once you switch, they allow you to use your own domain
name in outgoing emails.

Anyone can send an email through Verizon's smtp server so long as the reply
address is in the verizon.net or bellatlantic.net domain, regardless of the
validity of the account. (I just tried, and I'm not a Verizon customer).
Any spammer can use this essentially open relay.

Kai Lui
Computer Consultant
kai () kailui com

------ End of Forwarded Message