Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: "I am an American" Day

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:12:23 -0500

Nice idea.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Keeshen <keeshen () pacbell net>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:16:51
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: "I am an American" Day

James Nix's Birthday (September 17th) reminds me that there was once a day
in America, dedicated to contemplating our glorious country.

It was held in late May, and Truman ultimately "merged" it with Constitution
Day, on September 17th, to become "citizenship day", the anniversary of the
signing of the constitution.

At the risk of sounding jingoistic, with Constitution Day falling so close
to September 11th, perhaps a fitting rememberence would be to change it back
to "I am an American" Day.

No day off, just a day of learning and exploring. Our children could spend
their school day contemplating various themes surrounding the constitution
(a la constitution day), contemplating what it means to be an American (a la
I am an American Day), and remembering the supreme sacrifice some have made
on account of their nationality (ie. 9-11, Daniel Pearl, US hostages).

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/