Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on It's OK to record by time of day, but a copyright violation to use a program guide to record the same program... -- these guys have gone bongo djf

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 06:34:37 -0500

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 00:20:19 -0800 (PST)
From:
For IP if you want, but anonymously ...

I've not reviewed the actual filings.  I did read The LA Times article citeds:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-000010608feb11.story?coll=la-headlines-business
which suggests three causes of action against folks like ReplayTVs.

1.  ReplayTV recorders violate copyrights by enabling users to send
videos to other ReplayTV boxes over the Internet.

Recorders themselves cannot violate copyright. The legal theory here has to be that there is some contributory infringement doctrine in copyright law. This is
a new concept for copyright law and supported only by case law.  (I think the
Napster ruling by Judge Patel is one of the few that find is applicable in the
context of copyrights.)

Secondly, it argues that redistribution of material publically available to
another individual at a more convenient time and place is somehow a copyright
violation.  It seems, to me, a bit far fetched.[B

2. ReplayTV recorders violate copyrights becasue they skip commercials automatically.

Again the cause of action depends upon a theory of contributory infringement.

Moreover, whose copyright are they trying to protect?  The copyright of the
original show remains intact.  The copyright of the elided commercials remains
intact--they are gone.  There is a weak copyright argument to protect the
compendium of commercials and program, but that protection is generally
considered to be thin.  A compilation is a work formed by the "collection and
assembling of preexisting materials or of data that are selected in such a way
that the resulting work as a whole constitutes an original work of authorship".
Since the program sans commercials is a complete standalone work with it's own
protection, and since the supposedly derivative work consists of a compilation
of program segments and commercials, it's hard to see significant protectable
expression in the mixture.  (Is there some art in selecting commercials for a
particular show, say, "Friends", or is the space sold to the highest bidder? If
the latter, where is the protectable expression?  If the former, what is the
protectable expression and how does it not being present have anything to do
with copyright violation.)

3.  ReplayTV recorder violates some right because they allow customers record
and store shows based on genre, actors, titles, or other invormation.

As you noted, this is truly off the wall. The information used to select shows is drawn from a compendium of information, aka a database, possibly copyrighted
but the copyright is likely not to be owned by the plaintiffs.  Using such a
database to discover when shows are scheduled certainly qualifies as fair use.
(Why have a program listing if one cannot use it?) Moreover, words and short
phrases and facts are amongst those things specifically excluded from copyright.

        * * *

Were it not for the enormous money, time, and effort being expended on these
sorts of issues, these claims would seem laughable and unlikely to previal.
But, I worry that there is a chance that some court may find the arguments
credible.  And if they do, we'll have to live with a myrid of unintended
consequences.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/