Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The age of new blacklisting is upon us (not related to homeland defense)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 13:59:03 -0500

Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 09:50:08 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>

I'm going to be tarred and feathered for suggesting it, but sysadmins who use blacklists without due care, due process, and notice to both sides of email transactions may be liable for interfering in private communications, and it may be appropriate to sue them based on the inconvenience and risks they impose to the general communicating public. These blacklist providers are unaccountable to anyone but themselves, they operate in dark rooms, and they have no shame whatsoever.

I don't like the spam at all, but mucking up the low level mail transport system with unaccountable intervenors is like trusting Afghan warlords to keep the peace.

- David

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/