Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Losing privacy, drip by drip

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:30:58 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () cs cmu edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:24:10 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Losing privacy, drip by drip

A few minutes ago an electrical installer showed up at my front door and
declared that he was here to install an automated water meter reading
system.  This involves putting a radio transmitter on the outside of the
house so it can transmit water usage to their "nearby data collection
device".

The installer was not able to tell me whether the data was encrypted or
otherwise protected from being received by people other than the water
company. When I said I didn't want the house to be broadcasting information
about us, he said, "it's only your water usage".  It didn't seem to be worth
enumerating the reasons I don't want to do this, starting with the *zero*
usage that would have advertised my recent two-week absence from the house.

The flyer he gave me says it is a "manditory" [sic] upgrade.

I called the number on the flyer.
Them: "As far as I know, this is perfectly safe and confidential.  It just
uses low-power radio waves to transmit the information to our receiver."
Me: "How do you know that no one else can receive the information?"
Them: "I really couldn't answer that" (this last from three different
people)
Me: "I really can't approve installation without reasonable assurances"
Them: "We'll turn it over to the water company"

Grump.

Mary

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see: