Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: -- a word from MS re re Microsoft Admits XPMedia Player Spies on Users

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 07:16:50 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Rich Lappenbusch" <richlap () microsoft com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 23:39:00 -0800
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>, "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: surprised re lack of stir re Microsoft Admits XPMedia Player
Spies on Users

Hey Dave,

I realize many of your readers have seen articles and postings in the last
few days which question the functionality of DVD Playback in Windows Media
Player for Windows XP and I feel compelled to respond.  Now that we¹ve had a
chance to do our internal analysis, I wanted to provide the summary and
details to clear up any confusion and reassure your readers that under no
circumstances is any personally identifying information ever transferred to
Microsoft as a result of DVD playback in XP.

We have documented the process by which customers receive DVD media
information (³metadata²) in a Microsoft Product Support Services article at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q318671.  The same
article details the steps customers can take if they wish to prevent DVD
metadata from being saved on their computer, or to remove any DVD metadata
that is stored on their computer.  Please note that the DVD metadata is
stored in a private file on your computer, and is a proprietary binary file
that cannot ordinarily be read by other programs.  Under no circumstances is
the DVD metadata in the media library transmitted to Microsoft.

Paul Thurrott, News Editor for Windows & .NET Magazine, discusses the DVD
metadata process in detail at
http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=24202 and concludes
³In short, MPXP includes a feature that does exactly what most users want,
and it doesn't violate their privacy or security in any way.²

We take people's concerns about protecting personal privacy very seriously.
And we also recognize that no product is perfect.  We are always looking for
better ways to ensure the privacy and security of our customers.  I hope
this will help clear up any confusion.

regards,

rich

Rich Lappenbusch