Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Baby Bells Lobby Over Internet Bill

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 10:46:07 -0500

For the record, I agree with Gerry on this one (and have even when I was at the FCC) with the possible addition of requiring equal terms for new entrants to gain access to pole space and existing conduit space.

Dave

From: "Faulhaber, Gerald" <faulhabe () wharton upenn edu>
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>

Congress' intent to open up local competition to the RBOCs via resale, while certainly well-intentioned, was never going to work, and guess what? It hasn't, despite herculean efforts by the FCC and state regulators. After 5 years of intense regulatory pressure to make it happen, coupled with the telecoms bubble when investors were literally throwing money at CLECs/DLECs with stupid business plans, penetration remains a mere 8 1/2% of lines, almost all of which are business. This bill will change this very little; it just means the RBOCs won't have to worry about it, at least for DSL.

I don't buy the argument that new services should come under new rules; the whole argument about monopoly control has been the RBOCs control of the local loop (access line) as a bottleneck facility. It isn't a service, it's a facility. Therefore, I *do* buy the argument (advanced by Verizon's Tauke) that new *facilities* should come under new rules. As long as the RBOCs are not leveraging their bottleneck local loop, then forcing them to share facilities (such as new optical networks) makes no sense at all and definitely hinders new investment. If it's economical for them to put it in, it's economical for anyone to do so; where's the bottleneck?

Force sharing of the local loop? Not a very good idea [ exception djf], but if you insist .... Force sharing of new optical networks, unrelated to the local loop? Really bad idea. Let's encourage the RBOCs to do seriously new investment by shedding old-investment legacy regulation.

For those of you who would like to believe that if only we worked a little harder we could force the Bells to really open up their local loops at "reasonable" prices, take a look at my paper, http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~faulhabe/Policy-Induced%20Competition.pdf .

Professor Gerald Faulhaber <http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~faulhabe>
Business and Public Policy Department
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/