Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Internet Connections over Cable

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 06:54:37 -0500

From: "Bob Frankston" <BobRMFxix () Bobf Frankston com>
To: "David Farber" <dave () FARBER NET>
Cc: "Mark Laubach" <mark () rainmakertechnologies com>

I bought the book Delivering Internet Connections over Cable at Mark s suggestion. I was surprised to found that our moderator is a coauthor. And other familiar names on the editorial board. One more reminder that when I say they , I also mean us .

[Breaking the Access Barrier: Delivering Internet Connections over Cable by Mark Laubach, Stephen Dukes, David Farber http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471389501/qid=1013255543/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/002-2872643-0929643 djf]

I only had a chance to skim through it but it is at the right level for me i.e. the technical overview without being condescending or unnecessarily dense. It s also a useful starting point for talking about how to move forward and create real opportunities for new products and services.

I want to preface my comments by a general observation about how easy it is to get caught up in the details of a particular marketplace. I was lucky enough to commute to Microsoft (albeit from the Boston area) but even then stepping back from arguing with the networking group over details let me think much more broadly. If one is selling to the existing cable industry it is easy to see it as the marketplace rather than a temporary work-around. I want to make an attempt to explain my perspective namely why I have been taking such stance on creating a marketplace. It s not because I see the providers as evil, just that the incentives are misaligned. We see a similar dynamic in the continued efforts to use power lines (both within a home and to the home which are very different concepts). It used to seem compelling with X-10 supporting the notion. But now it seems hardly worth the effort vs 802.11 in the house and other pipes or wireless outside.

Despite my strong comments, I am still very much an advocate of cable modems as something one must have now and am not gentle with those who see the Internet only through a whistle (traditional modem) at the end of a phone line. I m also biased in favor of cable vs DSL because I ve long felt CableCos were less competent at impeding deployment and because of PPOE (an example of what clever people can do).

The point is that the process is stalled and we can do far better. I used to be more accepting and was willing to go along with a simple definition of open access that would allow me to buy a branded version of my cable modem service such as calling AOL for support of my MediaOne though that was before AOL became a CableCo. As I ve followed the progress (more of a retreat) over time I ve come to see that nothing short of a real separation will work.

I won t belabor the issues in the Leading-Edge Topics except to note that I take credit for killing the residential gateway fantasy with home networking (including HomePNA). I was also the home control point person at Microsoft (purely by default before the eHome stuff went off in its own direction) and observed the interaction between the PC world, the carrier world and the consumer electronics/building worlds. I will state strongly that the residential gateway will not be part of the evolutionary process. There may be systems in the home acting to provide third party services but the residential gateway as the brilliant network in the home is fatally flawed. Well, I guess I am belaboring it since I think the issue is at the heart of our disagreement. As long as the carriers have any notion of meddling here, the process will stay stalled and, worse, they will act as trapped animals whose very existence is threatened. They wouldn t be wrong in that regard as long as they insist on being in total and utter control.

I ve also watched how the caching fantasy came undone as people went to the entire net rather than just watching movies. Very early I shut off my proxy (yeah, I know, they are reading all my packets and second-guessing them because they still try to cache stuff one reason why IPV6 must also be encrypted end to end)

I do believe in using clever technology to repurpose existing infrastructure (as I did with HomePNA) but this will be even more important if we get operators with a real stake in connectivity rather than in television. Then we could have the second edition of Delivering Internet Connectivity Despite Cable . It could balance this repurposing with just laying new fiber much more suitable for supporting IP. For those selling equipment, that could be a much larger market in just keeping up with demand especially if communities can role their own.

Bob Frankston
<http://www.frankston.com>http://www.Frankston.com

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/