Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Reader Report: Windows XP at the Post Office

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:06:12 -0500

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:03:53 -0500
From: Gene Gaines <gene.gaines () gainesgroup com>

Good lord!

Gene

http://www.macintouch.com/postoffice.html

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:12:35 -0600
From: Cliff Crouch
Subject: United States of America "versus" Microsoft???

Just when I think events can't get any weirder, they do: I go into a United States Post Office today, and encounter a poster touting, not the latest stamps, but Microsoft Windows XP -- *plus* a Windows XP promotional CD-ROM display.

Yes, today is the "Martin Luther King birthday" holiday, officially observed throughout the United States, but this is the one post office in my hometown of Houston that stays open regardless (it's at Bush Intercontinental Airport).

I take care of my business with the clerk at the counter and am headed back out when I observe, mounted in the window, a full-size poster (with the ubiquitous "flat-green-landscape-against-blue-sky" theme of MS's latest marketing barrage):

Microsoft

THE DIGITAL WORLD IS CALLING.

Please take a free demo CD.

Microsoft Windows XP

I stand there mystified for a minute, and the clerk calls out, "Did you need something else, sir?"

I motion to the poster and say, "What's this all about?" By way of response, she bustles over to a corner of her workplace and fetches a promotional CD-ROM in a pasteboard slipcase: "Microsoft Windows XP -- eXPerience the excitement!"

"Here ya go!" she says as she hands it to me over the counter.

"So, uh ... did Microsoft buy the Post Office recently?" I ask.

"Oh, I think you can get these from UPS or FedEx, too," she says blithely, by way of "explanation," and goes back to work.

On my way to the door, I now notice a similarly themed Windows XP "dump" -- that is, a cardboard display with a niche for holding two-dozen or so promotional CDs -- sitting atop one of the tables in the customer area.

Neither the poster nor the cardboard dump even pretends to have any tie-in to the U.S. Post Office; it's just plain, unvarnished Windows XP puffery ... the kind of material that Microsoft pays to run in print media and on TV.

Has anyone else come across anything else like this? And am I simply naive, or is there something profoundly disturbing about such shenanigans going on even as District Court Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly allegedly mulls the proper punishment of the Microsoft Corporation, an illegal monopoly, for violating U.S. antitrust law?

Bemused, befuddled, & bewildered,
Cliff Crouch

<advertising.htm>Ads <email.htm>E-mail Find <index.htm>Home <resources.htm>Resources <contents.htm>Sitemap
Copyright 2002 by MacInTouch, Inc. All rights reserved.

10b8383.jpg
<advertising.htm>click for more info

</x-html>