Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Communal Broadband

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 16:06:34 -0500

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

 Communal Broadband

Sharing high-speed Internet access via wireless networks is growing in popularity, but some liken it to stealing cable TV.

By David Stevenson, Tech Live
January 3, 2002
<http://www.techtv.com/news/internet/story/0,24195,3366659,00.html>

Across America, community-based wireless networks are springing up aimed at giving the public anytime, anywhere Internet access.

One prominent example is in New York, where NYCWireless has created about 25 free access "nodes" for New Yorkers on the go. Co-founder Anthony Townsend, an urban planner, says his group has purely altruistic motives.

"It's a very loosely knit group of individuals that are interested in giving something back to the community that they live in," Townsend said. "So, by sharing out their broadband connection with their people in their neighborhood, they feel that they're providing a public good."

The goal is to use inexpensive, existing technologies -- primarily 802.11b, or Wi-Fi -- to get the public online. NYCWireless members purchase a business-grade DSL or cable modem connection (about $60 per month), which is then linked to wireless gateways like Apple's AirPort or Lucent's OriNoco (about $200). In return, co-op members are essentially able to operate a personal CLEC (competitive local exchange carrier) at no cost to the public (though donations are certainly welcomed).

Nearly 3,000 miles away at San Francisco State University, professor Sameer Verma is marrying Wi-Fi to cheap, unconventional equipment in order to link students to the business school's Ethernet.

"We used to have access through Ricochet, but once they stopped, we didn't have any other option, other than using dialup," Verma said. "And we figured we could probably connect these two buildings using wireless with just a point-to-point connection, but it needs an antenna to extend it that far."

His solution? Pringles potato chip cans, which he's testing as portable antennas. He found the blueprints on a website touting the wonders of Wi-Fi as an easy fix for those who want to be online everywhere.

Still, it's a far from flawless technology. Distance and landscaping can degrade Wi-Fi signals. The spectrum is also subject to interference from devices like microwave ovens or cordless phones.

<snip>

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/