Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Israel, U.S. among top sources of cyber attacks, study finds

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:24:04 -0500

To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave - if you deem appropriate for IP, request this post be done
anonymously.  Thanks.

In speaking to other security professionals in the field (plus some media
folks) this article looks to be simply a vendor's marketing / biz dev
effort. You go to the Riptech website, find the report, and then you fill
out a form with customer contact information. The website then says a
representative will contact you within 24 hours.

That's not community service, or news, that's a vendor-initiated
infomercial. The report can be requested at
<http://www.riptech.com/securityresources/form9.html>

Further, here are some comments from one of those mediafolks I was talking
with this morning:

>> Here are a few observations/comments from a Washington Post writeup of this
>> report located at <http://www.washtech.com/news/regulation/14884-1.html>
>
>> Tracking the security breaches of more than 300 clients across the world,
>> Internet security firm Riptech said it verified at least 128,678 cyber
>> attacks
>> from July to December 2001. While few of the attacks detected posed a ³severe
>> threat,² the Alexandria company said it was surprised by the volume.
>>
>> ³This report should clearly illustrate that the Internet security threat is
>> real, pervasive, and perhaps more severe than previously anticipated,² the
>> report said.
>
> So on one hand, only a few of these attacks are "severe" but yet the report
> says they are  "more severe" than previous. Which is it?
>
>> The Riptech study did not include ³worm² attacks. Computer worms are
>> reproducing programs that run independently and travel across network
>> connections. The main difference between viruses and worms is the method in >> which they reproduce and spread. Including worms in the count increased the
>> number of attacks by 63 percent.
>
> This is strange - worms were the major security story in FY01.....maybe their
> researchers didn't want to take a position on them, since everyone else
> already did?
>
>> Most analysts assume attacks on a company¹s Internet site are opportunistic
>> and the attacker is broadly searching for any vulnerable system, Riptech
>> said.
>> But the report found that 39 percent of attacks targeted a specific system or >> company. If the company had more than 1,000 employees, the rate of targeted
>> attacks rose to 42 percent.
>
> Any DC lobbyist will tell you that statistics can be made for anyone to
> support any position.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/