Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Lawmaker: Is CD copy-protection illegal?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 19:55:47 -0500

Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 16:53:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: IP: Lawmaker: Is CD copy-protection illegal?

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, David Farber wrote:

> >Lawmaker: Is CD copy-protection illegal?
> ><http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/20020104/tc/lawmaker_is_cd_copy-protec tion_illegal__1.html>
> >
> >Lawmaker: Is CD copy-protection illegal?
> >By John Borland CNET News.com
> >
> >Record companies' efforts to protect CDs against digital copying are
> >beginning to draw scrutiny from lawmakers concerned that the plans might
> >violate the law.

Doesn't anybody ever read the US Constitution anymore?

US Copyright law derives from Article I Section 8, which says:

"The Congress shall have Power ... To promote the Progress of
Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and
Discoveries".

In the US, copyright rights exist only for "limited times".

Eventually the copyright in a work will expire... eventually.  And if I
happen to have a copy of a work in which the copy right has expired, then
I am free to make copies.

However, the thesis of the recording companies is that by virtue of their
copyright powers they will impose upon us a *permanent* prohibition
against copying.

In other words, the recording companies are trying to impose a regime that
forgets that the words "for limited times" exists in Article I Section 8.

Now, the recording companies may try to shift the subject and claim that
they are merely licensing the material to us and that we are agreeing to a
private contract.  But remember, contracts have power only because the
power of the State stands behind the contract.  The "for limited times"
provision should be considered a barrier that prevents the private
invocation of State power to enforce such terms.

Now, Congress has enacted laws that say that periods on the order of a
century are "limited times".  I find that ludicrious.  But be that as it
may, what the copyright interests are trying to obtain is not protection
for a limited time.  Instead they are trying to obtain protection for an
infinite time.  Imagine a time in the far distant future, thousands of
years from now, an archeologist starts to dig into the earthquake-buried
remains of the city of "Hollywood".  She comes across the Capital Records
building and finds a DVD of the lost movie, Chaplin's "City Lights".
Would anyone be surprised if a ghostly image of lawyer arises from the
rubble and with in a hoary but clear voice say: "You may not copy that."?

                --karl--

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/