Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Judge: MS claim to 'Windows' in doubt

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 07:34:24 -0400

Judge: MS claim to 'Windows' in doubt
By Lisa M. Bowman
Special to ZDNet News
March 18, 2002, 10:45 AM PT

Microsoft suffered a minor legal setback Friday when a federal judge
questioned the software giant's claim on the word "Windows."

In December, Microsoft sued operating-system maker Lindows.com, claiming
the 6-month-old company was illegally taking advantage of its Windows
trademark and potentially confusing customers.

However, in a preliminary ruling issued late Friday, U.S. District Judge
John Coughenour said the suit raised "serious questions" about whether the
word "Windows" is entitled to trademark protection.

"Although Lindows.com certainly made a conscious decision to play with fire
by choosing a product and company name that differs by only one letter from
the world's leading computer software program," Coughenour wrote, "one
could just as easily conclude that in 1983 Microsoft made an equally risky
decision to name its product after a term commonly used in the trade to
indicate the windowing capability of a GUI (graphical user interface)."

The judge also refused Microsoft's request to immediately shut down the
Lindows site and stop the smaller company from using the word "Lindows."
Instead, those issues may be decided at trial.

San Diego-based Lindows.com, which is headed by former MP3.com CEO Michael
Robertson, is developing a Linux-based operating system that runs
Windows-based programs.

"We're obviously satisfied with the court's ruling," Robertson said in a
statement. "Our hope is that we can move beyond the courtroom and focus on
our goal of bringing choice back to the PC business."
Microsoft did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/