Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Overthrowing the telecom monopoly

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:16:11 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Jock Gill <jock () jockgill com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:52:47
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Overthrowing the telecom monopoly

Dave,

 My newest FUQ, which got a lot of help from some members of IP,  is now posted at:

 < http://democrats.com/view.cfm?id=6420 >

 Overthrowing the telecom monopoly: The best medicine for democratic development both at home and abroad

 By Jock Gill for Democrats.com

Is universal access to communications one of the fundamental foundations of a civil society, democracy and a
marketplace driven by innovation and honest competition?
 If it is, then our national telecom philosophy is outdated at best and harmful at worst. It denies all Americans the
practical benefits that would be created by new innovations in communications, as well as the opportunities for gaining
new wealth from them. If we want to stimulate economic growth and political stability at home and in developing
nations, we must enable stronger and better global communications. We need to support innovation in the telecom
industry that allows for rapid growth that is both affordable and environmentally sound.

 As the events of September 11th showed us, our world is increasingly polarized. If we want to address international
terrorism, we must address its roots, one of which is poverty. By supporting innovative international telecom
strategies, we stand to enable international development, reduce the gap separating the world’s wealthy from the
world’s poor, and create a more just, fair and peaceful international community.

 --- snip

 I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

 Jock

 Jock Gill
 <www.jockgill.com>
 Autographic Portraits