Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: CNN & CD Copy Protection (NTK)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:07:58 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Robert Raisch" <raisch () imakenews com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 13:47:21 -0400
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>

         So CNN call us up and ask: "Could you demonstrate the magic
         marker trick for defeating copy protection on Celine Dion
         CDs?" And we say: "Sure, but you know it only circumvents
         *some* copy protection systems - Cactus Data Shield 100/200
         and KeyAudio, apparently?" CNN don't seem too worried about
         this, and turn up with an "Attack Of The Clones" soundtrack,
         with "Will not play on PC/Mac" on the front. And, true enough,
         it won't read at all in our HP8100 CD-Writer Plus. "Do the
         magic marker trick", they plead, as we search in vain for the
         distinctive multi-session-style outer track, all the while
         explaining the numerous different kinds of copy-protection in
         contemporary usage, and eventually concluding "Oh, let's just
         try it in the other CD drive". And lo and behold, it rips
         without a hiccup from the crappy old LiteOn LTN382 32X using
         Easy CD-DA Extractor 3. The CNN crew try to hide it, but you
         can see the disappointment on their faces. In some ways, we
         shrug, this is a less televisual, but more interesting, story
         - all you need to get round copy protection is a friend with
         moderately lame old hardware. Unless that's illegal under the
         DMCA nowadays as well.
              - vs http://www.ntk.net/index.cgi?b=02002-03-22&l=162#l
         http://uk.eurorights.org/issues/cd/docs/celdion.shtml
                                              - love that new logo...

From NTK - http://www.ntk.net/
Need To Know - *the* weekly high-tech sarcastic update for the uk

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/