Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The Terror Alert They Won't Issue (2 pages)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 11:25:08 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 10:36:49 -0400
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: The Terror Alert They Won't Issue (2 pages)

Dave - For IP if you like.  Two page commentary discussing the utility (or
futility) of this past week's barrage of goofy terror alerts....I fear that
we're tip-toeing around the larger reality that nobody in authority seems to
want to acknowledge publicly, which was the basis for this latest article.
Cheers, rf

* * * * * *
The Terror Alert They Won't Issue
Richard Forno
Article #2002-07
(c) 2002 Richard Forno. Permission to reproduce in entirety granted with
author credit.

Let's face it - America is a confused nation. Granted, we've always been
confused about some things - the metric system, for instance - but in recent
days, nearly everyone is befuddled with how to continue living their daily
lives in the Age of Terror in America. Since September 11, 2001, the
repeated message of the federal government to the American citizens is to
'continue living your lives normally' while continuing to 'be on alert' for
anything 'out of the ordinary' that might indicate a potential terrorist act
in the making.

While this sounds meaningful and a necessary part of the post-0911 America,
let's be totally honest with ourselves: it's rather hard to live a normal
life when we're constantly-innundated with vaguely-worded predictions of
doom and gloom. We know we've been attacked, and we know that there's a
chance of future successful attacks in our country, despite the best efforts
of the government to protect us. It's a fact of life that we have been
forced to accept, whether we like it or not. Americans are a hardy bunch -
maybe we're a bit confused at times, but we're not dummies, either. Our
government is good, but it's not omnipotent. Talk about a mixed message that
creates a national psychosis! From shopping malls to the Statue of Liberty,
anything - and anyone - is now a potential target.

It's about time we admitted it to ourselves.

<-snip->

Article with URL references is at

http://www.infowarrior.org/articles/2002-07.html

------ End of Forwarded Message