Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The dirtier secret about TV Content

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 15:51:38 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Keeshen <keeshen () pacbell net>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 12:48:01
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: The dirtier secret about TV Content

As long as we are consumers, we won't stop funding TV:

$500 dollars of every car you buy goes to the advertising of said vehicle.
The bulk of that money goes to TV.

Did you see "Spiderman?" this weekend? $50 cents went in for advertising.

Did you buy a X box for your kids? well, $200 went to it's advertising (MS
paid $500 Million on TV advertising, and will likely sell 2.5 million units
this year)!

The technology may change, with the advertisers finding new ways to reach
us, but the "content tax" will never go away.

Bill