Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Letter from WSJ Online - a hoot!

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 05:43:03 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Jonathan M. Smith" <jms () cis upenn edu>

Hold On There a Minute, Jack!
Piracy the DVD Way": I don't give a hoot whether or not digital video can be
downloaded over the Internet, either now or in the future. What I do care
about is that the computers I use in my medical laboratory practice continue
to be designed by engineers and programmers rather than by government
bureaucrats working as surrogates for copyright holders.
The legislation introduced by Sen. Hollings that Mr. Valenti supports is
arrogant and audacious, requiring the general public to both pay for and
suffer performance degradation in order to reconfigure computing technology
to serve the needs of the entertainment industry.
Furthermore, it vastly exceeds the constitutional authority given Congress
with regard to copyright regulation.
Donn Fishbein, M.D., Ph.D.
Coldwater, Ohio

------ End of Forwarded Message