Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Obit for HP, written by David Packard

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:25:19 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Gerry Faulhaber" <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:17:11 -0400
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: Obit for HP, written by David Packard

The "Obit for HP" reminds me of the lamentations that accompanied the
breakup of the old Bell System, of execs and other Bellheads predicting doom
and gloom, and the fracturing of a tradition of public service.  Eventually,
they all retired and the rest of us got over it.

In the case of HP, the wound (if you believe it to be so) is self-inflicted.
But I believe the HP Way was doomed; HP has been heading south for some
time.  The merger makes little business sense: merging two firms both of
which are heading south doesn't change their direction; all this merger does
is add to their collective problems.

Time to quit whining, spruce up your resumes and move on, guys.  This is a
market economy, not a Frank Capra movie.

Gerald Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Department
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadephia, PA 19104

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/