Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: New Fines Threat over (UK) Tax Returns

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 08:34:59 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:15:25
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: New Fines Threat over (UK) Tax Returns

Hi Dave:

A colleague alerted me to this (with the comment "I'll bet they
haven't thought through the security aspects!") - I've not seen any
other discussion of it.

From BBC News Online:

(see http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1975000/1975504.stm )

Companies and individuals could face fines of up to £3,000 if they
fail to file their tax returns via the internet - so-called e-filing
- under measures proposed in the Finance Bill, BBC News Online can
reveal.  In the Budget, the government announced that e-filing for
payroll will be phased in for larger businesses over the next few
years, with all employers from 2010 being required to file online.

BBC News Online has also learnt that elderly and disabled people
employing carers, or people who use nannies, will also be required
to comply from 2010 if they pay them through a payroll system.

Both the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT) and Association of
Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) have criticised the proposed
fines as "punitive" and "underhand".
. . . .

Cheers

Brian

--
Dept. of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/