Interesting People mailing list archives

Hamas urging 'electronic Jihad'

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 16:44:37 -0500

From: J Armitage <j.armitage () UNN AC UK>
Subject: <[CSL]>: Hamas urging 'electronic Jihad'
To: CYBER-SOCIETY-LIVE () JISCMAIL AC UK

Location: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2126684,00.html

Hamas urging 'electronic Jihad'

Reuters

The militant Islamic group Hamas is urging followers to conduct a three-day
"electronic Jihad" on Jewish Websites, according to the Simon Wiesenthal
Centre.

Rabbi Abraham Cooper, an associate dean at the Los Angeles-based Jewish
organisation, said that one of the centre's researchers had come across two
Websites in Arabic referring to a campaign of hacking into Jewish sites
starting on 29 November.

The Simon Wiesenthal Centre monitors extremist anti-Semitic publications and
Websites on a regular basis, but Cooper said the latest find this week was
particularly alarming because one of the Websites gave "how to" tips to
would-be hackers.

"We have had numerous hackings back and forth between Israeli and Islamic
sites since the Intifada began two years ago.

"But this is something we have not seen in some time. There seems to be an
entire portion of a We site which is devoted to a 'how to' get involved in
that kind of activity," said Cooper, speaking from Jerusalem.

Cooper said one of the Websites appeared to be linked to Hamas. The Hamas
movement is dedicated to Israel's destruction and has carried out numerous
suicide bombings against Israelis since interim peace accords were signed in
1993. "We don't know the extent of any potential activity or what exactly it
would be, but we think this is significant.

"The term 'Jewish' Websites could mean anything from Israeli government
sites to any company that does business with Israel," Cooper added.

Cooper said the significance of the 29 November start date was unclear,
although he noted that it would be the first day of the eight-day Jewish
Hanukkah festival of lights.

Cooper said the Internet was playing a pivotal role as a forum both for
ideas and for groups wanting to circumvent official sources of information.

"The Internet has transformed the Islamic and Islamist world.... The
Internet has become not only a battlefield, as this announcement would seem
to indicate... of electronic wars, but it is also a key element in
propaganda battles in Arabic, Persian and in English," he said.

*****
Distributed through Cyber-Society-Live <[CSL]>: CSL is a moderated discussion
list made up of people who are interested in the interdisciplinary academic
study of Cyber Society in all its manifestations.To join the list
please visit:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/cyber-society-live.html