Interesting People mailing list archives

2 on National security

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:34:15 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 07:33:14 -0700
To: politech () politechbot com
Cc: JALewis () csis org
Subject: FC: CSIS' James Lewis replies to Politech on WH cybersecurity
report

Previous Politech message:

"Defense hawks bash White House report, want new laws, regulations"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-03999.html

James Lewis was one of the two CSISers I quoted in that article as wanting
more laws. He had said: "Cybersecurity is too tough a problem for a solely
voluntary approach to fix. Companies will only change their behavior when
there are both market forces and legislation that cover security failures.
Until the U.S. has more than just voluntary solutions, we'll continue to
see slow progress in improving cybersecurity."

-Declan

---