Interesting People mailing list archives

GELERNTER: Candy-Coated Electronics and a reply (reply first , article after)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:39:13 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Bob Frankston" <Bobf-xix () bobf frankston com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:09:41 -0400
To: "'John F. McMullen'" <observer () westnet com>, "'johnmac's living room'"
<johnmacsgroup () yahoogroups com>
Cc: "'Dave Farber'" <farber () cis upenn edu>, "'Declan McCullagh'"
<declan () well com>, "David S Isenberg" <isen () isen com>
Subject: RE: GELERNTER: Candy-Coated Electronics

There's a basic fallacy here -- confusing the operating system and other
mechanisms with applications. It's fine for Gelernter to offer his solutions
as a competing application in the marketplaces. But when he claims that it
is in place of more basic mechanisms I worry.

The economic argument is backwards. Making computers do one application very
well at the cost of flexibility and opportunity decreases their value and
the economic contribution of computing. Instead of making the computer act
as a better x, it is far more valuable to give the user the power to make
the computer do x -- only a few will create a new and valuable x but because
anyone can, those who do find a new application can share it.

It's the old stupid nets argument but this time it's about stupid computers
that give us the choices vs very smart computers that do one thing
brilliantly. That is, if that's the one thing to do.

There is a false dichotomy and naiveté in "Users don't need a raft of
special-purpose applications; they need one simple, versatile one. No one
has time to keep learning new programs." There are various tools appropriate
for different people and a balance between specialization and general
purpose tools but, ultimately, the question is who can add value and whether
there is the one true application that does it all and does it without us
having to learn or think or be allowed to change.

I've seen Gerlenter demo his app and I have no problem with his claiming
that it is a good tool for organization ones scraps of information and I can
even accept the hubris of claiming it's a "must have" application -- that¹s
normal marketing.

What I don't understand is the leap from "useful tool" to the "one true
answer to all problems". I worry about it in the same way I worried about
Mike Dertouzos call for computers to be smarter than we are. Microsoft's
Intellisense is a mild form of this but, at least, the marketplace has not
show universal appreciation for the clippie.