Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- Lessig on USG and WIPO Open Source mtg

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:12:21 -0400

Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:27:04 -0600
From: David Adams <david () osnews com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Lessig on USG and WIPO Open Source mtg
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

When I published a link to the Washington Post story at OSNews
(http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=4313) I was also surprised about
the level of ignorance demonstrated by some of our readers with regard to
open source software's relationship to IP.  I've also been irked at people
who think that if people are not paying some multinational corporation
and/or billionaire for their software, that it's hurting the economy.  Some
of the comments in the discussion of the article were so out of whack, I
just had to respond. One reader wrote the following, and my response
follows:

> No, open source does not protect my IP.
>
> Example, I come up with some wiz bang new sorting algorithm that can sort a
> list 100 times faster than any current algorithm. What do I do?
>
> 1. Sell a library with no source code so that programmers can use my
> algorithm, but have to pay me a fee to do so.
>
> 2. Open source it so that everyone can simply copy the algorithm and use it in
> their own apps.

If your goal is to maximize the amount of money you made on your discovery
then it's true that an open source license would not be the way to go.
However, that does not mean that your IP wouldn't be protected if you did go
open source. Intellectual property does not equal money.  The GPL is a great
way for someone who makes some software but does not have the inclination to
try to sell it to get it out there, with the potential to be useful, but
still have it be protected, and preventing someone else with more marketing
resources from stealing it from you.

If Linus Torvalds had created Linux and tried to sell it commercially, it
would have gone nowhere.  Same with Apache, most likely.  But the licenses
they were released under protected their authors' IP.  The copyrights and
trademarks that protect them are the reasons that Linux and Apache exist as
thriving entities, and their authors are known and recognized.

Now, the original author of the story Cinderella, on the other hand, did not
have his or her IP protected.  Nobody knows who wrote that story, and it's
been told and retold and changed and when Disney made a bunch of money on
the movie that author didn't get so much as a screen credit, much less a
royalty.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, since that author is
long dead anyway, and the world is richer for having the Cinderella story in
the public domain.  I mention this to demonstrate what it means to not have
your IP protected by protections in the open source licenses, backed up by
international copyright laws.

> Open source works well in the academic and scientific communities where people > tend to share discoveries. it doesn't work so well in the capitalist economy
> where people want to keep their discoveries a secret.

It depends on what you mean when you say "works."  If you mean that it
allows the creator of some code to make money without doing any further
work, then open source is not a good way to do that.  If you mean that it
lets programmers create and/or contribute to a project that may have
worldwide positive impact and maybe even make them famous, then it works
very well.

Remember, most of the software that's written is done in-house and only used
by one organization.  There are thousands of companies reinventing the
wheel, developing and maintaining mundane software.  The availability of
open source foundations upon which they can build customized versions of
this mundane software (like Bind, Sendmail, and Samba) have freed them from
countless hours of drudgery, yet again reinventing the wheel.  In fact, it's
unlikely that the internet would have proliferated as quickly without them.
That has contributed to worldwide productivity and a positive boost to the
economy.  There was no Bill Gates to get rich off of BIND, but if there had
been, would there be any positive impact to the economy because of that?
Not much.  Bind and Sendmail have contributed much more to the economy as a
result of being free than they would have if their original authors had
demanded payment instead of freeing the code.

As some other commentors pointed out later, keeping your source code
proprietary does not prevent someone from taking your idea and capitalizing
on it.  Most software is relatively easily reverse-engineered, or
re-implemented, and the only way to keep someone from taking your idea is to
patent it.  And that's a whole other controversy.  But the point is that
jealously guarding your source code is not an effective way of protecting
your intellectual property anyway.

on 8/22/03 8:13 AM, Dave Farber at dave () farber net wrote:

>> http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/001436.shtml
>

> the extremists in power
>
> I don't even know how to begin this story, so stupid and extreme it is.
>
> The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) was convinced by Jamie
> Love and others to hold a meeting about "open collaborative models to
> develop public goods." One of those models is, of course, open source and
> free software. Lobbyists for Microsoft and others apparently (according to
> <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23422-2003Aug20.html>this
> extraordinary story by Jonathan Krim) started lobbying the US government to
> get the meeting cancelled. No surprise there. Open source and free software
> is a competitor to MSFT's products. Lobbying is increasingly the way
> competition is waged in America.
>
> But the astonishing part is the justification for the US opposing the
> meeting. According to the Post, Lois Boland, director of international
> relations for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, said "that open-source
> software runs counter to the mission of WIPO, which is to promote
> intellectual-property rights." As she is quoted as saying, "To hold a
> meeting which has as its purpose to disclaim or waive such rights seems to
> us to be contrary to the goals of WIPO."
>
> If Lois Boland said this, then she should be asked to resign. The level of
> ignorance built into that statement is astonishing, and the idea that a
> government official of her level would be so ignorant is an embarrassment.
> First, and most obviously, open-source software is based in
> intellectual-property rights. It can't exist (and free software can't have
> its effect) without it. Second, the goal of WIPO, and the goal of any
> government, should be to promote the right balance of intellectual-property
> rights, not simply to promote intellectual property rights. And finally, if
> an intellectual property right holder wants to "disclaim" or "waive" her
> rights, what business is it of WIPOs? Why should WIPO oppose a copyright or
> patent rights holder's choice to do with his or her rights what he or she
> wants?
>
> These points are basic. They should be fundamental. That someone who
> doesn't understand them is at a high level of this government just shows
> how extreme IP policy in America has become.

David Adams
Publisher
OS News, NewMobileComputing
202-321-2512