Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- so what will we do to avoid another mass attack on the "net"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:21:17 -0400

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:19:42 -0500
From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] -- more on -- so what will we do to avoid another mass attack
 on the "net"
To: dave () farber net

From: Robert Lee <robertslee () comcast net>

It would be interesting to know what the score is with regard to punishing
the authors of viruses and worms, etc.

That depends on what you mean by "punishment." First of all is the problem of catching the perpetrators!

Complicating factors include obtaining evidence -- showing that the virus/worm/trojan originated with a particular set of authors and machines; demonstrating intent, or at least reckless indifference; and finding jurisdiction. The last of these three is notable because writing viruses, per se, is not a crime in most venues...and probably shouldn't be. Viruses and virus-like programs can be written for research and testing, and don't represent a problem unless released "into the wild." If I write a virus for a machine emulator that has no real-world counterpart, that should not be a criminal offense, for instance -- especially if I am performing anti-virus research. Furthermore, defining a virus unambiguously in the law is not simple. Thus, the usual path to prosecution is based on the release of the code into the general population.

A year or so ago I helped someone who was doing a history of criminal prosecutions for malware authors. I can't remember his name, and unfortunately I appear to have not kept a copy of the URL to his paper. :-( However, I remember that the total record of successful prosecutions is low -- under a dozen. About 4 prosecutions have occurred in the US, 2 in the UK, and a few scattered elsewhere in the world. Most prosecutions resulted in conviction, but limited sentences. What follows is based on my memory, augmented by a few limited Google searches of news archives.

To identify the author of a new virus/worm will require one of the following:
* someone with personal knowledge talks too much or confesses, as was the case of Jan de Wit, the author of the Kournikova virus, and Richard Brandow, author of the Mac PEACE virus; * evidence of earlier versions being tested in limited ways is traced back to the author; * ISPs and major sites keep detailed logs with reliable time-stamps that allow forensic investigation, as was the case with David Blumenthal, Mark Pilgrim and Richard Swanson with the Mac MBDF virus, and of Christopher Pile, the author of the SMEG viruses (Pathogen and Queeg); * the author(s) is careless and/or unlucky, and identifying information is left in the code, as happened in the case of the Melissa incident with David L. Smith; * the author is disclosed during some other investigation (e.g., a disk search for kiddie porn or credit card numbers turns up copies of tools and testing logs for the code).

Other notable cases of malware prosecution include Robert T. Morris for the 1988 Internet Worm, Joseph Popp author of the AIDS Trojan, Gareth Hardy and Donald Gene Burleson for their data logic bomb, Onel de Guzman, author of the Love Bug virus, and Chen Ing-hau (also written as Chen Ying-hao ), author of the Chernobyl virus.

 * Smith received a prison sentence, as did Pile.
* Morris, Hardy, Pilgrim, Swanson, Blumenthal, Burleson and de Wit were all sentenced to community service, probation and/or fines. * de Guzeman was not prosecuted in the Philippines, but he could be prosecuted if he travels to a country where an indictment is still active. * Ing-hau was arrested in 1995 in Taipei, but released when no one produced a formal complaint of damage. He was rearrested in 1999, but I can't find a record of whether he was ever tried. * Popp was extradited to England, where he underwent trial. He took to appearing in court with a cardboard box on his head and pink rollers in his beard. He was declared a "public disgrace" and deported. He later was convicted in absentia by an Italian court and sentenced to a six month prison term. I am unaware of whether he served that or not. * Brandow was a magazine publisher who circulated the virus in a diskette with his magazine. Not only was he not prosecuted, he actually won some form of award for what it!

As I recall, the author of the Mac "scores" virus was allegedly a recently-fired contractor with NASA. He was not prosecuted, but his security clearance revoked.

I don't believe there are any other cases of identification of an author *and* some punishment for release of the malware.

Thus, based on experience with hundreds of thousands of pieces of malware and tens of billions of $ damage over 20 years, we can point to two people serving a few years in prison, 7 others with fines and probation, and some bad press for a few more.

Not exactly encouraging, eh?