Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- Auntie's Digital Revolution by the author

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:27:30 -0400

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 04:29:30 -0700
From: "Danny O'Brien" <danny () spesh com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Auntie's Digital Revolution

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 07:10:29AM -0400, Dave Farber wrote:

> >Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:54:18 +0100
> >To: farber () cis upenn edu
> >From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk>
> >

> >Hi Dave:
> >
> >For IP
> >
> >I recommend the article "Auntie's Digital Revolution" in the computer
> >section of today's edition of the Guardian newspaper. ("Auntie" is a
> >well-known affectionate name for the BBC, at least here in the UK.)
> >
> >The article describes in more detail than I, at any rate, have seen before
> >the BBC's recently unveiled plans to make lots of its back catalogue of
> >programmes freely available online, and documents the role played by
> >Lawrence Lessig and Brewster Kahle in this decision.
> >
> >The subtitle to the piece is however strange, in that it talks about
> >making the archives "free for licence players", though it is not at all
> >obvious from the actual text that there is any plan to restrict access to
> >licence payers, leave alone how this might be achieved. (Here in the UK,
> >you need to purchase an annual licence fee in order to operate a
> >television set - these fess provide the BBC's main source of income.)
> >
> >The article can be found at:
> >
> >  http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,1030176,00.html

I wrote that piece, and I should emphasise that (despite the subtitle)
it's only a description of one tack that the BBC *could* take in
presenting the Archive. As far as I know, no definite decision has been
taken; the Archive itself is in its very earliest stages.  But the very
fact that this option of approaching it in a minimal DRM, free to
redistribute manner is being discussed internally at all is heartening.

The question of whether such files can be restricted from non-licence
payers is a key one here. On one side, the BBC has traditionally divided
its approach between domestic and foreign markets, taking a more
commercial approach outside the UK than when dealing with the licence
paying public.

However, we are dealing with a new situation. If the BBC's back
catalogue is provided in such a way as it could be distributed by the
public themselves - using technology as sophisticated as BitTorrent, or
as simple as fans passing copies between each other, then it would
actually be *cheaper* for the BBC to provide its resources to all than
attempt to restrict them to the UK by including complex, proprietary and
ultimately hackable digital rights management systems.

My conversations with individuals within the BBC indicate that they know
this. I suspect the great stumbling block may be whether they can
explain the new situation to the licence-paying public: that being more
generous with their heritage will be less costly than hoarding it.

I've continued the article at my blog, here:
http://www.oblomovka.com/entries/2003/08/28#1062061680

and there is further discussion here (including a comment by Brewster
Kahle)
http://www.quicktopic.com/23/H/fqUqqvK8nFM

Best wishes,

d.