Interesting People mailing list archives

Spammers declare war on spam blockers?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:55:36 -0400

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:49:18 -0700
From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>
Subject: Spammers declare war on spam blockers?
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

Saboteurs hit spam's blockers
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2003/08/28/saboteurs_hit_spams_bl
ockers/

By Hiawatha Bray, Globe Staff, 8/28/2003

Internet vandals have found a new target: a group of online services that
seek to block billions of unwanted spam e-mail messages.

The services, called "blocklists," are used by many Internet providers and
major corporations to shield e-mail recipients from overwhelming amounts of
junk mail. Subscribers link their e-mail servers to the blocklist, which
automatically rejects any incoming e-mail from an address that is believed
to be a source of spam.

Now the blocklisters are being overwhelmed by Internet saboteurs who harness
large numbers of computers to bombard their victims with vast amounts of
junk data.

In a technique called a "distributed denial of service attack," vandals
exploit security flaws to plant programs, called "Trojan horses," on
thousands of Internet-connected computers. They then order the Trojan horse
programs to spew useless data at a targeted machine.

It's the equivalent of having 100,000 people dial the same phone number,
over and over, at the same time. Such attacks can knock a computer offline
simply by swamping it with more data than it can handle.

In recent weeks, say blocklist operators, a series of such attacks have been
aimed at their computers, in what they view as a deliberate effort to force
them off the Internet.

"Bad things are going on, very bad things," said Ron Guilmette, a Roseville,
Calif., software engineer who runs a blocklist at monkeys.com. Guilmette
said his service has been battered by distributed denial of service attacks
since last Tuesday, but so far he has fended off the assault.

"I fortunately was able to withstand the onslaught, at least until now," he
said.

Spamhaus, one of the most prominent blocklists, has been under fire for 2
1/2 months, says its chief executive, Steve Linford.

"We're usually under attack from 5,000 to 10,000 servers at once," Linford
said, with incoming data flows as large as 100 million bytes per second.
"They're extremely large attacks that would bring down just about anything."
But Spamhaus, with 16 servers scattered through 10 countries, has been able
to ride it out, Linford said.

Julian Haight, creator of Seattle-based blocklist Spamcop, recently signed
up with a new Internet service that provides enough bandwidth to fend off
distributed denial of service assaults. "Prior to that," said Haight,
"Spamcop was down for a few days," knocked off the Internet by ceaseless
attacks.

Other blocklist operators have fared even worse. Australian antispammer
Matthew Sullivan says his Spam & Open Relay Blocking System has been under
constant digital assault for the past month, forcing Sullivan to scale back
his operation. "I still have two servers null routed [disconnected] and
unavailable to the world," Sullivan said in an e-mail.

The attackers have managed to drive one popular blocklist entirely offline.
On Tuesday, Californian Joe Jared shut down his Osirusoft blocklist in an
unexpected manner. Jared blocklisted all Internet addresses worldwide. As a
result, businesses that relied on his list were suddenly unable to receive
any e-mail at all, even legitimate e-mail.

"He said . . . I'm going to blacklist the world. And by golly, he did," said
Jim Miller, network administrator at Simutronics Corp., a St. Charles, Mo.,
firm that formerly used the Osirusoft blocklist.

Jared expressed regret for the way he shut down his blocklist. "I thought
there had to be a better way to do it," Jared said. "But there wasn't."

Jared said his blocklist server also hosted the website for his small
business, which makes shoe inserts for people with foot problems. He
couldn't shut down the blocklist server without also closing his business
website, so he chose to make the blocklist unusable by blocking everything.

He said he'd spent weeks trying to fend off the denial of service attacks
against his servers, but "they just beat the hell out of them. . . . I just
can't be attacked like that."

<snip>
--
Robert J. Berger - Internet Bandwidth Development, LLC.
Voice: 408-882-4755 eFax: +1-408-490-2868