Interesting People mailing list archives

Replies to "Your cell phone is probably a GPS tracking device"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:22:58 -0400

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 07:32:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-05004.html

---

Date: 06 Aug 2003 16:22:55 +1200
From: Steve Withers <swithers () mmp org nz>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Re: FC: Your cell phone is probably a GPS tracking device

Who wants to carry a homing beacon for the Department of Homeland
Security?

--
Steve Withers <swithers () mmp org nz>

---

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 06:12:59 +0200 (CEST)
From: Thomas Shaddack <shaddack () ns arachne cz>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

If the phone tracking is only for 911 service, as declared, there is no
reason why the carriers should be updated about its position at all times.

Why not make the phone firmware to keep its position to itself, and
disclose it only when 9-1-1 is dialed? Then only the 911 service will get
the location data, and privacy (within the limit of cell density of the
network, which is unpleasantly accurate but still orders of magnitude
less precise than GPS) is maintained for all other operations.

That so simple solution wasn't selected suggests possible "side
intentions" with the realtime location data, being it profiling of people
by law enforcement agencies, or just "mere" annoying with advertising.

However, self-help could still be possible. You may take the risk and give
up on the 911 getting your position and physically damage the telephone;
you may remove or disable the chip, or if it'd be too tightly integrated
with the rest of the phone maybe adversely affecting the antenna gain in
the GPS band could help as well (eg, a bandpass filter?). Or you may be
more selective, and make a tiny GPS jammer with very low output power,
that would feed its output directly into the phone's receiving antenna, or
to its immediate vicinity; that way you will jam only your own phone
without adversely affecting anything more than a foot away. As a
beneficial side effect, the lower output power you use, the less it eats
the batteries. Possibly a low-power variety of the one published in Phrack
60. The GPS coverage, especially in buildings and tunnels, is so bad that
the telcos can't link their service to active GPS positional reporting.

The easiest way, if the phone construction allows it, is a modification
with a small switch on the phone case, connected to some circuit inside
the phone that disables the GPS signal reception. May be as simple as
disabling the chip's clock, flipping the GPS_RECEPTION_ENABLE signal (if
available on the chip's pins) or connecting a filter to the antenna. Then
you have both: the telco gets your location data only when you need it.
Caveat: GPS needs sometimes up to couple minutes to acquire its position.
That's good to keep in mind for case you'd need to supply the position.

The hope looks quite like a soldering iron tip.

---