Interesting People mailing list archives

Pitfalls in airport security

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:41:31 -0400

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:15:42 -0400
From: Truchaos () aol com
Subject: Pitfalls in airport security
To: dave () farber net

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/states/florida/counties/broward_county/6511711.htm

Dropped pants bare pitfalls in airport security
BY DANIEL de VISE AND WANDA J. DeMARZO
ddevise () herald com

STRIPTEASE OR SEARCH?: Martin Holness at lawyer's office. Holness, 34, says an overzealous security guard ordered him to remove his pants and then fed them through an X-ray machine at a checkpoint as the humiliated passenger and scores of bystanders looked on. CANDACE WEST/HERALD STAFF

Martin Holness wore gray-and-black boxer shorts to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport for his trip to Chicago on July 17. And that was a fact he hoped to keep to himself.

But by the time Holness boarded the American Airlines flight, his choice of undergarments was known to many.

Holness, 34, says an overzealous security guard ordered him to remove his pants and then fed them through an X-ray machine at a checkpoint as the humiliated passenger and scores of bystanders looked on.

''I'm standing in my underwear, looking stupid,'' said Holness, a truck driver from Miramar. ``Even when I got to Chicago, people from the flight were still looking at me like I was crazy.''

The guard gives a very different account. He says Holness pulled down his own sweat pants and handed them to the incredulous guard after two quarters in one pocket set off the metal detector.

However Holness and his pants became separated, the episode illustrates what can happen at airport security checkpoints when things get out of hand.

''Occasionally, we have people who are short of patience and we understand that,'' said Lauren Stover, spokeswoman for the Transportation Security Administration, the agency responsible for airport checkpoint security. ``The two pillars of our organization are providing the highest level of security and also, at the same time, providing good customer service.''

Pilots, flight attendants, American Muslims, business executives and even members of Congress have reported intrusive searches by security personnel since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, which raised the bar for admission to a passenger aircraft.

Most observers agree relations between passengers and wand-wavers have improved since the federal agency took over passenger screening at all major U.S. airports, a transition completed in November.

But here and there, complaints persist.

Holness said his trouble began when he set off a walk-through metal detector at the Fort Lauderdale airport. A wand beeped as it passed over his pants pocket. But Holness found nothing in the pocket. He invited the guard to feel around in the pocket and contends the guard did just that. Still nothing.

'I said, `What do you want me to do?' '' Holness recalled. 'He said, `Why don't you take your pants off?' . . . I said, 'Are you for real? Take my pants off?' ''

Holness says he complied, but under protest. ``I asked them, `Don't you have a room for this? Some curtains?''

He said the guard assured him he would have his pants back before he missed them. The guard fed the pants through the X-ray machine, found the offending quarters, then returned the quarters and the pants.

The security guard says it was Holness who caused the spectacle. According to a written incident report, Holness lost his composure after setting off the metal detector, barked that he had ''nothing to hide'' and removed his own pants without provocation.

The guard told him, ''No, sir, that is not necessary,'' the report stated, but Holness ignored him, handed him the pants and said, ``Why don't you just X-ray them?''

Stover, the TSA spokeswoman, said it was the first incident on record of a commercial air passenger spontaneously disrobing.

''I'm 100 percent confident that we did not ask this man to take his pants off in full view of the public,'' Stover said. ``Apparently, he was very frustrated, and we understand that.''

Stover said multiple witnesses corroborate the security guard's account. But the agency conceded he should have summoned a supervisor well before the incident escalated to the point where the gloves -- or pants -- came off. The guard has been reprimanded and dispatched for more customer-service training, Stover said.

Dr. Louis Keith, a professor at Northwestern University Medical School who saw the episode, sides with the incensed passenger.

''An agent from TSA put his hands in the man's pockets, then I saw [the agent] take off his pants,'' Keith said.

The doctor says he heard Holness ask the guard, ''What are you doing?'' but got no reply.

''As a traveler, I don't think that is the way travelers want to be treated,'' Keith said. ``We're at their mercy. That is the issue.''

Holness made a verbal complaint to a TSA supervisor before he boarded the flight. Attorney Clement Dean said Holness is considering legal action. ''Martin was standing up, in public, with his underwear on,'' Dean said. ``And this was while women and children were walking by.''