Interesting People mailing list archives

I, Cringely | The Pulpit

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:50:59 -0400

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:03:47 -0500
From: John Lyon <jelyon () mac com>
Subject: For IP: I, Cringely | The Pulpit
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Might be of interest to IP

Begin forwarded message:

There was a story in the news a couple weeks ago about how IBM was planning to move thousands -- perhaps tens of thousands -- of technical positions to India. This isn't just IBM, though. Nearly every big company that is in the IT outsourcing or software development business is doing or getting ready to do the same thing. They call this 'offshoring,' and its goal is to save a lot of money for the companies involved because India is a very cheap place to do business. And it will accomplish that objective for awhile. In the long run, though, IT is going to have the same problems in India that it has here. The only real result of all this job-shifting will be tens of thousands of older engineers in the U.S. who will find themselves working at Home Depot. You see, 'offshoring' is another word for age discrimination.

It is not that moving jobs to India is so bad, though I hate the weasel behavior behind some of it. It is simply pointless. What is needed, instead, is a new approach that diminishes the role of headcount in corporate power.

I am not talking about switching the orientation from headcount to costs. I am talking abut switching from headcount AND costs to true productivity -- getting the work done and the customer served as efficiently as possible. And this comes entirely down to hiring. It is not who you get rid of, but whom you keep.

Just as an example, there are programmers who are a hundred or a thousand times more productive than their coworkers, and every Silicon Valley startup is constantly on the lookout for that kind of genius. Those people work in big companies, too, but their impact is muted. What manager at any big company would trade 100 workers for one, no matter how smart the one? No manager would do that, and yet they should. Power and efficiency are in conflict here. And that's why we can scale up the software and the hardware, gaining efficiencies along the way, but we don't do that with people. It's not that we can't, we just don't. It is a disservice to customers and a drag on earnings. There is no rational justification at all for this headcount mentality, yet it still exists.

Productivity is producing more with fewer resources, usually with fewer people. It?s all about simplification, reducing or eliminating labor, improving tools, locking in on a standard approach and being smart about changes. Is this what IBM and others are doing? When was the last time a systems management product like Tivoli or OpenView really reduced IT labor? The IT business model is based on bodies. To improve profitability they are looking for cheaper bodies. They can't envision a business model where they can do more with fewer bodies. IBM has invested hundreds of millions in tools for its services division. Very, very little of it actually reduces the labor IBM needs to support a customer. This mindset is what is damaging the U.S. IT industry.

Ironically, there lies here an enormous opportunity for someone. An organization of talented people that can get its collective head around this problem and begin to see its industry, its work, and its goals in a different way will have a terrific advantage. IBM and companies like it are vulnerable.

And moving jobs to India won't change that.

--
Posted by John Lyon to :: JELyon's Rampage :: at 8/12/2003 03:43:59 AM

John Lyon