Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Patriot II Passed in Stealth During Saddam Capture

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:24:37 -0500

Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:16:16 -0700
From: "Robert M. McClure" <rmm () unidot com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Patriot II Passed in Stealth During Saddam Capture
To: dave () farber net

At 05:26 PM 12/28/03 -0500, you wrote:

From: Benjamin Kuipers <kuipers () cs utexas edu>

Dave,

I hope your IP list can help get this outrage the attention it deserves.

Meanwhile, a long-term prediction. While this "trick" of slipping controversial legislation into larger bills to avoid careful examination is not completely new, this Republican Administration appears to be using it much more aggressively and effectively than ever before.

snip...

I guess it's a matter of point of view, but I seem to recall *both* parties using this trick such as egregiously in the past. And this is but one of the parliamentary
maneuvers used by whichever side thinks they can get away with them.

Having said that, I agree that civility between the parties reaches new lows year
after year.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this problem?

Bob