Interesting People mailing list archives

more on (2) revolution in Japan

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 07:30:58 -0500

Jo's reply follows in second note djf

------ Forwarded Message
From: IKEDA Nobuo <ikeda-nobuo () rieti go jp>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 20:58:40 +0900
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ikedanob () db3 so-net ne jp
Subject: Re: [IP] revolution in Japan

I can't understand what Jo Ito means by "revolution", but I am afraid
that he is preventing the evolution of the Internet in Japan. Yesterday
we had a symposium titled "E-Governmet for Whom?"

http://www.rieti.go.jp/jp/events/03020501/info.html (in Japanese)

We discussed the National ID problem, to which Ito is opposing strongly.
His colleague is arguing "I don't want to be a number". We concluded
that it was a non-probelm whether people become numbers or not, because
they are already numbered and could be searched by their names and
addresses. Try Google.

Ito insists that Japanese govt should strengthen the privacy bill to
enforce "self-information control rights" to allow everybody to control
all data that contain his/her name. In our symposium, we agreed that it
was very dangerous to empower everybody to "censor" the personal data.
Even the notorious EU directive is not enforcing such a strong
restriction.

Yesterday I discussed it with a Microsoft official, and today I talked
about it with an Intel official. They encouraged me to stop such a
dangerous "privacy" bill that regulates the Net.

--
Ikeda, Nobuo
Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry

------ End of Forwarded Message