Interesting People mailing list archives

more on that "refund" from the record labels

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:32:04 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Baratunde R Thurston <*>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:15:39 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: more on that "refund" from the record labels

Hey Dave,

There's been lot of recent press coverage on the $20 refund the record
labels are giving to consumers as part of a settlement on over-pricing CDs
during the late 1990s. I thought it sounded kind of shady for the recording
industry to send money TO consumers. Turns out it's true, but I ran some
numbers, and it only works for a narrow range of claims.

Basic points:

1. If you don't need the money, don't file, or you mess it up for everybody.
2. We should all become savvy record industry investors. It pays to defraud!

Check out the analysis at:

http://www.baratunde.com/sproj/PriceFixins.html

------ End of Forwarded Message