Interesting People mailing list archives

PSF: Bush in the 'Burgh Redux

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:25:54 -0400

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:23:36 +0000
From: Jon Delano <jon.delano () verizon net>
Subject: PSF: Bush in the 'Burgh Redux
To: dave () farber net

Dear Politically Savvy Friends,

Give President Bush some credit. Yesterday, he came to a setting where he clearly was not comfortable, to an audience that was not especially receptive to his message, only to be followed by seven individuals who want to replace him in the White House who were eager to bash him. All in all, it was an interesting day in the 'Burgh.

The Set-up:

George Bush's handlers usually don't let him go to places unless they can stack the audience with hundreds of adoring partisans. [Lest you think this is a partisan statement, the same was true of Bill Clinton]. But Allegheny County executive Jim Roddey, a Republican, had it exactly right when he said the audience of National Urban League delegates was "polite, but not wildly enthusiastic."

It was in sharp contrast to the President's last visit to Pittsburgh back on Labor Day. Then he spoke to the carpenters union at an outdoor rally that local Republican leaders had carefully stacked -- and Bush was given a "rock star" type reception. Roddey thinks, and I think he's right again, that there was still the "after glow" of 9-11 at that event, a "rallying 'round the prez" that time and subsequent events have naturally diminished.

But it's also true that this was a very different audience in Pittsburgh yesterday. Only 9 percent of African Americans voted for Bush, and (as their leaders keep telling me) if ALL their votes had been counted in Florida, Bush would not have "won" the state by 537 votes to gain the White House. It's a very sore point with many African Americans.

It's also true that Bush's opposition to affirmative action sticks out like a sore thumb in this crowd that generally views him as racially insensitive (at worst) or benign (at best). And when it comes to economic issues, well, nobody there sees Bush as the defender of the lower middle class, the low-income, or the jobless. As Jesse Jackson said to me in an interview after the event, Bush talks "finance" to his wealthy corporate contributors and "faith-based initiatives" to us.

The only elected local Democrat I spotted in the hall was Mayor Tom Murphy of Pittsburgh. Murphy tells me he makes it a point to attend presidential visits in town whenever he can. The other elected dignataries were Republicans: Attorney General Mike Fisher had the choice seat, next to Senators Arlen Specter and Rick Santorum, and Congressman Tim Murphy and Allegheny County chief executive Jim Roddey. [By the way, it was freshman Tim's first ride on Air Force One]. U.S. attorney Mary Beth Buchanan was also there, and, of course, there were the typical GOP political staffers and hangers-on who frequent these events. The president introduced all the Republican officials, but left out Mayor Murphy.

The Speech:

The president's speech was pretty predictable stuff. He did defend his war on Iraq in eloquent terms but it did not evince the loud applause that similar remarks often get elsewhere. Bush quickly moved on to turf where connections with his audience was more plausible -- like education and, of course, federal support for social services offered by religious institutions. From a news standpoint, there was nothing really new in his comments with one possible exception. He clearly embraced the notion that the economy has turned a corner -- and he's taking credit for it. "We saw a problem and we dealt with it." Now most in that audience don't perceive the "good times" yet, and I suspect most Americans don't either. But Bush is laying the groundwork for a claim next year that his tax policies worked.

The other rhetorical passage I noticed was his frequent use of variations of the "we had a problem, we fixed it" language. It's good stuff politically, suggesting strong leadership, a trait Americans admire considerably. Of course, you have to believe that the problem was really "fixed" for the rhetoric to work. But I predict we'll see a whole lot more of that kind of language.

The Democrats:

It's tough to be up against the aura of the presidential seal, but the seven Democrats who showed up (John Kerry and Bob Graham were AWOL) did their best to ignite a crowd that was, by far, considerably smaller than the president had. Part of the problem was that the Urban League organizers had scheduled the event for 5:15 pm, but by the time it started, it was dinner time!

Howard Dean gets points for the best advance work. He was mobbed by 50 fans when he entered the Convention Center, bedecked with signs and buttons. I asked him if he was "the hottest new kid on the block" and he laughed, saying it was up to us to decide that question. There is clearly more of an enthusiasm around him than the others. Surrounded by his swarm of groupies, Dean made his way over to an open radio set up to appear on the American Urban Radio Network's "The Bev Smith Show" before moving into the "holding room" before the event.

Because of the staggered speech times, the other candidates sort of straggled in. I caught up to a couple, like Al Sharpton, who described Bush's speech as indicative of the fact that Bush "lives on fantasy island" especially when it comes to the economics of people of color. In the holding room, I found a few others, like the always gracious Joe Lieberman -- we share something in common since I was born in Connecticut and he has relatives in the little town I lived in. Lieberman, too, focused on the economy, pointing out that 3.5 million jobs (mostly manufacturing) have been lost by this president, whose record, he says, does not entitle him to a second term. Dennis Kucinich and Carol Mosely Braun were also in the holding room, but purported "top tier" candidates Dick Gephardt and John Edwards didn't get there before they shuffled the candidates out for their appearance.

Each candidate made their best cases on points they thought would connect with a generally friendly audience, but it's awfully hard for the Democrats to speak with seven (let alone nine) voices. This, of course, will sort itself out within the next nine months. You sort of felt that the Democrats came because they had to, especially after Bush came.

Media Relations:

I've covered a number of presidential, gubernatorial, and political-styled visits to the 'Burgh over the years, and some are better run and more media-friendly than others. It's always, always (in my view) in the best interest of the President, Governor, or whomever to provide maximum flexibility for the media to do its job.

This one had a few glitches, not because of the Urban League which couldn't have been easier to work with, but because of the fear (I was subsequently told) that some in the White House have of the media. Having been on the government side of all this once upon a time, I understand the suspicions that some politicians (and many of their staffers) have of the media. But the smart ones usually recognize that the media gives you your best shot at reaching a very large audience, and they go out of their way to make things easier for you.

That wasn't the case yesterday. Besides some minor hassling by White House handlers when we wanted to shoot pictures of the Urban League delegates, examine some name tags on some empty chairs for local politicians, and talk to former PA House Speaker K. Leroy Irvis long before the President even entered the hall, the most peculiar incident occured after the speech. It was a first for me. Following the speech, the White House "locked down" those of us on the TV platform at the rear of the convention hall from exiting the platform after Bush had finished his speech and was shaking hands on his way out the door.

As explained to me later, someone in the White House political operation feared the "local media" would rush after the president to ask him questions. Of course, we were nowhere near Bush and separated by hundreds of Urban League delegates, and, in any case, most of us had no desire to grab the president. We just wanted to do our jobs. [In my case, that meant talking to local politicians before they left the room about the president's speech. The lock-down frustrated that effort].

Curiously, the lock-down did not affect the print media (or the TV media who were smart enough to get off the platform before the speech ended). They were free to roam the hall just like the delegates. But one print reporter who happened to go up on the TV platform was, much to his disgust, detained as well. Choice words were exchanged by several with the White House operative who blocked the stairs off the platform. We were "free at last, free at last" once Bush exited the hall. It was a stupid White House tactic that hopefully won't ever be repeated. [It's obviously not a "security" issue since we go through the same checks (even more so) than the delegates]. Having enjoyed a good working relationship with some high quality, professional Bush press people in the White House itself, I suspect that this was a glitch caused by a poor advance team. I'll let you know after the next presidential visit.

Well, that's my Tuesday morning take on President Bush's fifth visit to Pittsburgh and 21st visit to Pennsylvania. I give the president high marks for coming to the Urban League, a visit that wasn't so staged as most of his appearances in town, and the audience high marks for their polite reception even when they disapprove of his presidency. As always, I welcome your comments.

      As always,
        Jon

Jon Delano
Political Analyst
H. John Heinz School
Carnegie Mellon University

[You know that these comments are solely my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of all those wonderful organizations with whom I am associated].