Interesting People mailing list archives

more on " Bigger Than Watergate! The stealing of the US voting system"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:46:45 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Robert M. McClure" <rmm () unidot com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:44:11 -0700
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] " Bigger Than Watergate! The stealing of the US voting
system"

Upon careful reflection, one would have to consider this story highly
improbable at best.  Historically, the security of a secret in inversely
proportional to the number of people who know it.  The only real
guarantee is if exactly one person is in on it, and that person is
dead.

Consider the number of people who would have to be in on the game
to make massive fraud possible:  programmers, program system
managers, executives in the company(s) making voting machines,
political operatives who decide how many votes to steal and from
whom, minions who actually carry out the manipulations, involvement
of the exit polling workers and organizations.  Considering the nearly
50,000 polling places across the US, the number of people who would
have to be "in" on the game boggles the imagination.  Even more
mind boggling is the idea that they could collectively keep a secret
for more than two or three microseconds, especially considering that
the media would have to in on the game as well.

This is not to say that there is not vote fraud, but for the most part it
is ad hoc and local. (Remember LBJ's famous 87 vote senate victory
in 1948 in which the last 200 votes cast in Duval County were cast
in alphabetical order.)  As far as I am able to tell, massive vote fraud
has to be carried out openly and with strong-arm methods (such as
the Mugabe case cited).

It is going to take a lot more hard evidence than I have seen so far
to convince me that massive vote rigging is in the works and not simple
ineptitude.

Bob McClure

------ End of Forwarded Message