Interesting People mailing list archives

A special discount offer to PopTech 2003 for IP List Members

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 11:40:37 -0400

Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:03:09 -0700
From: Andrew Zolli <azolli () earthlink net>
Subject: A special discount offer to PopTech 2003 for IP List Members
To: dave () farber net

Dear Dave:

I am a longtime, loyal and appreciative reader of the Interesting People list. I have a significant and relelvant offer that I'd like to extend to other IP list members regarding this year's PopTech conference. I pass this along to you - if you think it is appropriate, feel free to post it. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at 917-495-2950.

Yours,

Andrew Zolli
PopTech 2003 Programming Chair

---

Dear Fellow IPers:
I am writing to you today with a very special offer for fellow members of the Interesting People list.

For the past few months, I have been programming the PopTech conference, an one-of-a-kind intellectual and creative conference held in Maine in the fall. This conference is something I'm tremendously proud of, and now I have an opportunity to share my ongoing efforts with people on the list

This October, in the beautiful village of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Camden, Maine, there is an *extraordinary* conference taking place, called PopTech. (<http://www.poptech.com/>www.poptech.com) Now in its seventh year, this event was started by the inventor of Ethernet, Bob Metcalfe, and the former CEO of Apple Computer, John Sculley. The conference brings together some of the world s most important thinkers and innovators for a weekend to explore the future, and in particular explore the impact of technology on people, society an the planet.

In the past, PopTech has been ranked as one of the two or three best conferences in the United States; many consider the best thing they ve ever been to. It's the kind of dream event you would put together if you could take the best of the conferences you've been to, and the most interesting people you've met, and put them in a single place to explore the future. It's not just that the speaker levels are very high (this year will bring at least one Nobel prize winner to the stage), or that the audience members are of a similarly high quality. It's that there is a real sense of 'soul' to Poptech. It's hard to convince someone of this via the sterile medium of email, but that s the best way to describe it.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />So, who is going to be there? People that I have always wanted to see together, such as:

* Geoffrey Ballard, the 'father' of the hydrogen fuel cell
* Constance Adams, the first architect to be hired by NASA to build 'liveable' spacecraft.
* Larry Lessig, head of the Stanford Center for Internet & Society
* Thomas Barnett, Leading theorist on the future of warfare at the Pentagon
* Juan Enriquez, author of As The Future Catches You and head of the HBS Life Sciences Program * Virginia Postrel, critic and author of the forthcoming The Substance of Style
* Golan Levin, digital artist extraordinaire
* Aubrey de Grey, pioneering Cambridge University anti-aging researcher

And many, many more. Go to the website to check out the still developing program, which will ultimately feature more than 36 amazing speakers who, I promise, will blow your mind. I know you will have the time of your life.

I am absolutely certain that PopTech is going to sell out this year, and it is very important to me to make sure that some IPers get to attend. So before the marketing kicked into high gear, I had a limited number of tickets to PopTech 'set aside' for a 'Friends of Andrew' discount. The discount is *substantial* - $400 off the $1495 admission fee. For the experience you're going to have, this is a steal.

This offer is made to *you* directly - please don't pass it around beyond the IPers list. To be fair to everyone else, this offer is good only until June 30, at which time my 'reserved' seats are opened to the general admission.

To take advantage of this offer, visit the Web site via this URL:

<http://www.poptech.org/index.cfm?friend=3wr85yZ>http://www.poptech.org/index.cfm?friend=3wr85yZ

When you click on "Register" you'll see the discount has already been deducted.

You should know that, like everyone involved in the conference, I am working on this project for 'the love of the game'. I don't get paid, and have no incentive other than to indulge my deep curiosity about the future, and to put on the conference that I have always wanted to attend. Nor do I have any economic incentive to make this offer to you.

There are things we do for love, and things we do for money. I am doing this thing for love, and I hope you'll be able to share in it.

Yours,

Andrew Zolli
PopTech 2003 Programming Chair

PS> If you have any questions about the program, please feel free to contact me at 917.495.2950.

Andrew Zolli Z+Partners

Design Strategy | Futures Research | Interesting Projects

[email]
  <mailto:andrew () zpluspartners com>andrew () zpluspartners com
[web]
  <http://www.zpluspartners.com%20/>www.zpluspartners.com
[blog]
  <http://www.zplusblog.com/>www.zplusblog.com