Interesting People mailing list archives

more on donotcall.gov

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:16:27 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh () hserus net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:33:55 +0530
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, mom () netmom com
Subject: Re: [IP] donotcall.gov

Dave Farber wrote:
*Jean Armour Polly <mom () netmom com>

*Dave- when will they start a DO NOT E-MAIL registry??
I registered my home phone and fax successfully (they send a
verification email to you, you have to click on a link to verify) but
never got an email back on the third number I added--my cell phone. Glitch?

Two things -

Telemarketing to cellphones is already streng verboten under the terms
of the TCPA.

Second - there are at least some bills (such as the one introduced by
Senator Schumer) that propose a federal do not email list.

The issues associated with it are -

1. The DMA - aka the Direct Marketing Association (an outfit that is
flush with cash and well supplied with lobbyists) is screaming bloody
murder [no surprise, that!)

2. Address churn (new guy getting an email address after the old guy
discards it), and validation problems.

3. The need for such a list to recognize "domain wide" and "ISP wide"
optout in such a list - spammers routinely send to bogus addresses - my
logs are full of stuff like, for example, attempted deliveries to usenet
message ids -

2003-06-27 10:05:26 H=fep01-0.kolumbus.fi (fep01-app.kolumbus.fi) [193.2
29.0.41] F=<CraineGessel () lycos com> rejected RCPT
<slrn9n1ldc.99d.devnull () frodo kcircle com>: Unrouteable address

That <slrn[whatever]> address this spammer tried to deliver to is the
message id of an article I posted to usenet back in 2001 -

<http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=slrn9n1ldc.99d.devnull%40frodo.kc
ircle.com>

    srs

------ End of Forwarded Message